“The website requires consent from its users for the storage of any information on mobile phones, desktops, and tablets etc. This Privacy Legislation is simply termed as Cookies Law.”
Cookies are little data files to store information and they can be deactivated by web users. The key incentive is to find the number of users who are concernedly visiting the website.
When the dots are connected to trace the origin of cookies policy, we find out that the programmer Lou Montulli first proposed the word “cookie” when he used the idea of magic cookie in web communication in 1994. Initially, people hadn’t much awareness about the cookies but they were accepted by default without any notification to the users. With the publication of an article in 1996 by Financial Times people gain knowledge about cookies policy. Cookies were discussed in two U.S. Federal Trade Commission hearings in 1996 and 1997.
Cookies policy has an immense use in the world of web, some technologies like HTML5 and Flash uses the same kind of legislation as cookies policy but they have not frequent use as cookies policy, because of this huge use coolies policy is referred to as Cookie Law.
All websites owned in the EU or targeted towards EU citizens are now expected to comply with the
In the field of web business cookies law play a great role, when you owe some website this means that you are agreeing to all the Terms and Conditions along with Privacy Legislation. In case you are not compiling with the law you are putting yourself on a big risk.
There are three main steps for compliance with Cookies Law:
- Work out with cookies audit to set cookies of your site
- Give your users a control and then obtain their permission
Along with their immense uses, there are different types of cookies too that perform different functions. Some types of cookies are:
- Session cookie
- Persistent cookie
- Secure Cookie
- Http-only cookie
- Same-site cookie
- Third-party cookie
- Super Cookie
- Zombie cookie
There is a brief explanation of these types of cookies for the purpose of understanding, just to update knowledge about this interesting cookies policy.
It is present only for a short time in temporary memory and disappears as the user closes the web session.
This type of cookies doesn’t expire suddenly as the web session got ended but it requires some specific length of time and date to get disappear. So, the user’s information will be transferred to the server whenever they will visit and revisit the site. That’s why they are also called tracking cookies.
When the connection is encrypted the users will observe the secure cookies and it can be secured by adding a secure flag to the cookie.
This is a special type of cookie that can only be assessed by APIs of the user and this restriction overpowers the threat of cookie theft.
This is a modern type of cookie introduced by Google Chrome in 2016 and it only is sent in requests originating from the same origin as the target domain.
This type of cookie belongs to a different domain than that of shown in the address bar. It appears when web pages show contents from external websites.
This cookie differs from ordinary cookies having an origin at a top level domain. A super cookie is a cookie with an origin of a top-level domain.
This special type of cookie reacted itself after being deleted and it stores cookies information at multiple locations.
Cookies have an immense number of users in the field of web. Some of them can be listed as:
- They help users in recording the courses they want to register. It keeps the track of users when they visit courses.
- They are used while logging in a website. As the visitor register to a website, the server sends a unique message to the client that contains cookies and it actually identifies the user. It then also remembers the user when they come back after logging out the previous session.
- Cookies policy main function is to track its users, IP address can also be used to track the visitors of a website but cookies policy finds a strong use in this regard than others.
Along with its privacy concerns, Cookies Policy finds some technical drawbacks.
- One major drawback is that it doesn’t identify the users accurately thus losing a track record and can cause security attacks.
- Also, it can’t identify a single user when a single computer has multiple browsers and users.
- In the same manner, cookies do not differentiate between multiple users who share the same user account, computer, and browser.
- Cookies use can create a state of inconsistency between the state of the client and the state as stored in the cookie. If the user acquires a cookie and then clicks the “Back” button of the browser, the state on the browser is generally not the same as before that acquisition. This can lead to confusion, bugs, and unreliability. Web developers should, therefore, be aware of this issue and implement measures to handle such situations.
Educational Nest wishes now you all will be able to understand the real concept of Cookies Policy.